Spiral galaxies and hurricanes.

Forum Homepage -> Astronomy Discussion

Started by Message
leerobidas  

Posted:
Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Spiral galaxies and hurricanes.

I find it fascinating how spiral galaxies resemble hurricanes and know that the rotational direction of storms are influenced by which hemisphere of the earth they are located. When viewing the images from the Hubble telescope I can see that the rotational direction of galaxies vary from picture to picture and find myself wondering if we can compare this to the mechanism that effects the rotation of a hurricane. Assuming the universe is spherical in nature and has a noticeable transition where the rotational direction of galaxys revers couldn't we say that it has an equator and hemispheres? If the Universe does have an equator and hemispheres that effect rotational direction of galaxies couldn't we also say that it has spherical boundaries and is part of something much bigger? If this idea is out to lunch can someone please explain to me what mechanism effects the rotational direction of a galaxy.

Lydia   Site Admin

Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Galaxy Rotation Theory

Here is an excellent explanation to your inquiry.
It includes everything one would ever want to know
about galaxy rotation theory.
Galaxy Rotation Theory
With references from "The Evolving Universe" by Michael Zeilek
I believe it is written by :
C Johnson, Physicist, Physics Degree from Univ of Chicago

LL/

ArnieB  

Posted:
Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:40 am

Plasma physics holds the answer

That article toes the party line: gravity-based theory, which clearly raises more issues than it resolves.
Nobel Laureate Hannes Alfven explains galaxy formation, replicable in the lab, according to plasma physics and electromagnetism. There are electric currents that traverse space. Galactic spiral motion is an electromagnetic phenomenon.

Back to top Page 1 of 1

Forum Homepage -> Astronomy Discussion

Forum Options

Login
Forum Search