Newbie question on accelerating universe

Forum Homepage -> Astronomy Discussion

Started by Message
Nervarke  

Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:55 am

Newbie question on accelerating universe

Hello everybody, this is my first time here. I have signed up because as an average proletariate I dont have a good grasp of galactic physics.
They say the universe is accelerating because the red-shift of distant supernova says that they are going faster then closer supernova, but cant really figure out why. What I am understanding is that the distant supernova are being seen as they were a long time ago because of the time it takes thier information to get to us. They are being seen in a time when the universe was expanding allot faster then it is now. Over time, gravity has slowed the expansion and the universe is slowing down. The supernova that are closes to us seem to be going allot slower because we are seeing them at a point much more recent in the past then the far away ones. If my theory is correct, it supports a decelerating universe.

I know that I am wrong, because people allot smarter than I would not have made this oversight. Perhaps the factor I am missing is that the red shift from a known source has a gliding shift insinuating acceleration over time, but that was not the way it was explained on the page

"www.astronomytoday.com/cosmology/quintessence.html"

Could somebody breifly set me straight on this? I dont have anybody else to ask, and wish to continue developing my own unified theories (lol)
Glad you all have freed yourselves of the usual earthly matters, keep looking skyward.

Ailianne  

Posted:
Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:46 am

hi, to all...!!
Nervarke, thanks for the information that
youve shared, btw i am new her,
thanks for accepting....

cheers

camellia89  

Posted:
Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:00 am

Hi,
My name is camellia form australia.
I am a new too. Thank you for sharing that information which makes me be rather scare.
ANW, nice to be a part of this forum
-----------------------------

Ailianne  

Posted:
Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:39 am

hello, i am esie,.i am glad to join
this forum...thanks for the info,
ANW, nice to be a part of this forum !!
thanks,...

cheers,
how to deal with depression

Back to top Page 1 of 1