Sat May 30, 2009 6:19 am

A stupid question.

A stupid question.
#
According to Einsteinís GRT the strong gravitation bends a space
and this space will be curved. For example, the space around
the Sun is curved and therefore some quantum of light bends its
moving from the straight line.
The scientists named such space a Curved Universe.
A stupid question:
Do astronauts see from Cosmos what we live in the
Curved space, in the Curved Universe?
===== . .
S.

astronut68  

Posted:
Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

i don't think so ? the simplest answer would be like you can't see the curvature of the earth at low altitude. therefore the cosmos itself to see its curve you would have to be physically oriented out and above to see the curvature of the body in question ! i think ? Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

barry.armstead  

Posted:
Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 am

Certainly not a stupid question. I would be interested to hear what those in the know would answer.

Baz.

Uzair  

Posted:
Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am

Mass creates the curve in time space sheet.General relativity explians the effect of gravity without taking gravitational force into account.It says gravity is actually the effect of that curvature which a mass creates in time space sheet.In fact we can not see that curve(as we can't see time spacce sheet) but we can feel it and usually we call it gravitational force.

Swenz.john  

Posted:
Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:57 pm

Yup. Its true. Space time can't be seen so the effect of it, which can be felt is known, gravity. There's no direct relation of gravity in this.

CosmicCharlie  

Posted:
Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Astronauts don't see the curvature.

Additionally, didn't the WMAP measure the Universe and find it flat to within a small margin of error?

My question is, if gravity is warped space-time, why do we need gravitons?

manish_jain  

Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Another reason you can't "see" the curvature even if the light is bent is because you make the 'apparent image' in the straight line beyond the ray of photons that is entering your eyes, and so light always appears to be travelling straight to you. However, read on to gravitational magnification as to how images collected from two different points can "see" the curving of space and the curvature of the path of the ray of light.

Back to top Page 1 of 1

Forum Homepage -> Astronomy Discussion

Forum Options

Login
Forum Search